Wednesday 6 July 2016

Music Video Idea 3

BLACK HORSE AND THE CHERRY TREE - KT Tunstall

For my third idea for a music video I have chosen the indie/rock song 'Black horse and the cherry tree' by KT Tunstall. Below is the official music video for this track.


The song is quite abstract, but in an interview with The Guardian KT revealed that it is actually a metaphor for good and evil. She also said that the song represents a fantasy where her heart was betrayed and it is about having to dig incredibly deep to find out who you want to be.



I envision the artist to be quite raspy yet soulful and have quite a hard and edgy look. I would like the artist's star image to contain the star values suggested by Dyer such as rebellion, aggression/anger/angst as well as creativity/talent. I want the star to appear rough and raw and her star image should reflect her confidence, power and self-assured nature. In terms of looks and appearance, I would compare my artist to Lorde, Sharon Van Etten, Sky Ferreira and Ida Maria. In terms of sound I would compare the artist to Duffy (Mercy), Pat Benatar (Heartbreaker) and Bonnie Tyler (Holding out for a hero).

 

The majority of the music video would be a performance element in either a dark studio or an abandoned building with lots of harsh metal in the background. I think that the setting needs to match the star image of the artist as well as work harmoniously with the track.




I picture the artist to be wearing an outfit which is complementary to her raspy voice and rebellious and rough look. I would like the artist to be wearing black studded boots, a leather jacket, black skinny jeans and a red lacy top to break up the use of black. She would also be wearing heavy jewellery such as cuffed bracelets as well as dark eye makeup.




The performance element would also consist of a drummer and a guitarist who are shown separately. I picture the artist, guitarist and drummer all in different mirrored/metallic boxes giving the impression of a mirrored maze which would add to the illusion/fantasy element of the track. The drummer and the guitarist would be dressed in black also and their costumes would be quite simplistic. The only props needed are a drum kit and a guitar.
    

There is no narrative for this music video concept as I believe that the song follows its own narrative which is quite abstract so instead of creating an additional narrative I intend on just using imagery to reflect the meaning of the song.








I would like to use some stylistic elements of certain imagery to reflect the meaning of the track and also to represent the artist's ideology and star image. I would like to incorporate the imagery of a kaleidoscope with lots of different colours including blues and purples which would add to the illusion/fantasy element of the video. I would also like to include the imagery of tarot cards and the idea of choices being made which could also work with the use of a mirrored maze to suggest the journey that the artist and also the track go on.   


I believe that the video fits in with the track due to the fact that the lyrics in the track are quite abstract and I think that the video will reflect certain aspects of an interpretation of the track. Additionally I think that the visual ideas that I have come up with support the genre of the track and so would fit nicely with the track. I think that the element of mystery and the idea of choices and illusions not only works well with the visuals I have come up with but would be appropriate to the track.
  

I think that the video concept reflects the star image of the artist as an independent spirit and also the artist's ideology which is that we are all on our own individual journeys and this comes with seeing through illusions and making choices. I believe that the use of the unconventional imagery of the kaleidoscope, tarot cards, mirrored maze and metallic boxed match the rebellious and creative characteristics of the artist as well as matching her angst.




No comments:

Post a Comment