Thursday 19 January 2017

Evaluation Task 1 - Part 5: In what ways does your media product use,develop or challenge forms and conventions of real media products?


Conventions are the generally accepted ways of doing something.  Conventions can be used, supported, reiterated.  They can be challenged to deliberately broke to subvert conventions.  In evaluation of the question set I feel that I have drawn on the conventions of media products in my own campaign.  The use of these conventions is evident in the construction of my own products, for example the use of a lip sync and performance element in my music video as well as the psychological thriller style narrative that was used in my thriller opening sequence , this is supported by my own research into the forms and conventions  of music videos and opening sequences for thrillers.  

At the same time I have sought to develop and been able to challenge conventions, for example, I have decided to not use an imagery of the band on my CD Digipak and I have decided to place the track list on the inside of the CD Digipak rather than the back cover.  The reason why I decided to do these things was to differentiate my product in a competitive music industry market and I have attempted to challenge audience expectations in order to bring something new to the media forms.  

Media Conventions are ultimately relied upon for communicating the right message to the intended audience, but they can also deviate from these expectations in order to aid the sale of the star image that I wanted to promote.

1 comment:

  1. Nancy.

    This is a magnificent completion of the task - well evaluated. Reflective blogging has enabled you to clearly understand forms and conventions of the music video, Cd digipak and website design. Making explicit these conventions has helped highlight your understanding of media conventions. I very much like the way in which you have laid out your understanding of media codes and conventions of the artist website homepage.
    Great work in completion of the tasks set.

    ReplyDelete